Halls in Longdon Parish
Here are details of the four halls available within the parish of Longdon and which offer a range of excellent facilities for both large and small events.
Longdon village hall, Brook End
The extensive programme of sympathetic refurbishment of this fine old building has resulted in a enviable Village Hall, serving the heart of the community of Longdon.
Accommodation comprises a large function room with kitchen and bar area. The main hall can be partitioned off to provide a smaller second room (the kitchen/bar area is contained within the smaller area).
- Building capacity 120
- Seated dining for 80
- Good accessibility for all including disabled access and toilet
- Purpose built stage available
- On-site parking for approx 15 cars
The hall is a registered charity, No 509624, and managed by a group of voluntary trustees. For information on becoming a 'Friend of the Village Hall' or joining the Management Committee, please phone Neil Vyse (Chair) on 01543 493088, or any one of the following committee members:
- Neil Vyse (Chair) 01543 493088
- Gina Duckett (Treasurer) 01543 491190
A list of regular events at the Village Hall follows. For other information including the bookings calendar, see the Village Hall web pages.
|Monday morning||1030-1130||Stretch and Relax with Val Passey|
|Monday evening||1900-2100||Yoga with Val Passey|
|Thursday evening||1900-2030||pre natal Yoga with Val Passey|
|Sunday evening||2000-2130||Table tennis|
Cannock Wood & Gentleshaw village hall, Buds Road
Accommodation at the hall comprises:
- Large function hall, with purpose built stage
- A second small function room
- Modern well equipped kitchen
- Toilets with disabled facilities
- Snooker Room with two full size tables
- Cricket pitch
- Large car park
The present Village Hall was built in 1967 to replace the old wooden hut which had previously been used as a village hall and was situated behind Gentleshaw Primary School. When it was decided that the school needed to be enlarged a compulsory purchase order was made on the land on which the old hall, or "Stute" as it was fondly known, stood and consequently much fundraising was done to provide the funds necessary for the building of a new Village Hall. The land on which the Hall stands originally belonged to the Marquis of Anglesey as part of the estate of Beaudesert. This land had been bought by Mr Charles Wootton, a local businessman, who lived at Chestall House and who kindly donated the area of land to the village for the purpose of building the new hall.
An addition to the building was made in 1972 with the building of the Snooker Room at the rear side. This facility was a great improvement on the old snooker area in the "Stute" where the proximity of the heating stoves meant that some shots entailed getting a singed "derriere".
The Village Hall consists of a large hall measuring 50ft x 30ft with a separate raised stage area of 30ft x 12ft. Leading off the large hall is a smaller hall/meeting room which measures 25ft x 25ft. Adjoining this room is a kitchen with electric cooker, microwave, fridge freezer, kettle and urn, and good working surfaces. There are refurbished gents toilets, a disabled toilet and ladies toilets/cloakroom. All of these facilities are approached by double doors leading into a foyer area. At the side is located the snooker room with separate access and also access to toilet facilities.
The Hall plays host too many village organisations including Before & After School Club, Play Group & Mothers and Toddlers, Womens Institute, Floral Art Club, Rainbows Brownies and Guides, Gardening Club, Whist Club and others.
- Management Committee Chair: Bob Shelley - 01543 671689
- Secretary: Annette Johnson - 01543 675801
- Treasurer: Roger Cowling - 01543 676484
- Booking Secretary: Marion Tait - 01543 682701
The hall is a registered charity, No 514206, and managed by a group of voluntary trustees.
Additional information - including details of regular activities - can be found on the Cannock and Gentleshaw Village Hall web pages.
Longdon WI Hall, Brook End, Longdon
The hall, available for hire, is diligently maintained by members, and offers excellent facilities for small events:
- Function hall with a unique character
- Well equipped modern kitchen
- Toilet facilities
- Buffet accommodation for 36 people, or up to 26 for sit down meals
- Meetings for up to 40 people
The registered charity number is 229091
For bookings: Margaret Woollard Tel: 01543 490389.
Longdon Memorial Hall, Brook End, Longdon
With its black and white frontage, the Memorial Hall has been a striking presence in the centre of the village between the church and the school since 1919. It was built to remember the fallen and to be a community venue for the present.
Its history of serving the village includes providing dinners for the children in the 1920's; fund raising for War Comfort Fund 1939-45; pre-school play group in the 1970's.
It offers a comfortable and well maintained facility comprising a large and versatile room, with a smaller annex, for meetings and society or family events. It has a fully licensed bar and has been refurbished recently.
- Accommodates pre-booked functions
- Room hire available
- Private & lit car park to rear for 36 cars
- Central location
For information and booking contact: Jeff March 01543 255949.